If the Microsoft applications that you use on your computer such as Word, Excel and Lync are provided as part of an Office 365 subscription, they will be updated automatically on an ongoing basis.
However there may be times when you can’t (or don’t want to) wait for this automatic process. Let’s say for example you read our recent post on how Lync has been updated to be the new Skype for Business, and being super keen to try out the new Skype for Business, you simply can’t wait for the automatic update process to do its thing. Manually updating from Lync to Skype for Business is super easy.
Running a manual update on all of your Office 365 desktop applications (including Lync/Skype for Business) only takes a few clicks, and here’s how.
- Open up any of the Microsoft Office applications that you have installed as part of your Office 365 subscription, and click on the File menu at the top left. In the image below I’m using Word.
- Click on the Account menu option, and then on the Update Options button.
- Click on the Update Now option from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Your updates will then be download in the background. You can continue working with your Microsoft applications while this process takes place.
- If the updating process does require you to close any applications, a notification will appear to give you the option of how to proceed. Closing the applications listed yourself, and saving your work is the recommended option. Once you’ve done that, click the Try Again button for the updates to proceed.
- The update process will then proceed, after which your computer will have the latest versions and updates for your Microsoft Office 365 desktop software, including Word, Outlook, Onedrive for Business and of course Lync will now be replaced with the new Skype for Business.